Music streaming apps have become an essential part of our lives, as they allow us to access millions of songs and podcasts anytime, anywhere. However, with so many options available, it can be hard to choose the best one for your needs and preferences. In this article, we will review one of the most popular music streaming apps in the world: Deezer. We will examine its features, benefits, drawbacks, and pricing, and compare it with some of its competitors. By the end of this article, you will have a better idea of whether Deezer is the right music streaming app for you.
What is Deezer?
Deezer is a freemium music and podcast streaming service that was founded in France in 2007. It has a catalog of over 73 million tracks, as well as podcasts, audiobooks, and radio stations. Deezer is available in over 180 countries, and has more than 16 million active users and 9 million paying subscribers1. Deezer offers four subscription plans: Free, Premium, Family, and HiFi, each with different features and prices. Deezer also supports Sony 360 Reality Audio, a spatial audio format that creates a more immersive listening experience.
What are the pros of Deezer?
Deezer has many advantages that make it a great music streaming app. Here are some of them:
- Massive music library: Deezer has one of the largest music catalogs in the world, with more than 73 million tracks from various genres, artists, and regions. You can find both mainstream and indie music on Deezer, as well as exclusive content that is not available on other platforms. Deezer also has a large selection of podcasts, audiobooks, and radio stations, although their availability may vary depending on your location.
- Free version: Deezer offers a free version that allows you to listen to music and podcasts with ads and some limitations. You can skip up to six tracks per hour, and you can only listen to music in shuffle mode on mobile devices. However, you can still access Deezer’s curated and personalized playlists, as well as the Flow feature, which creates an endless mix of songs based on your taste.
- CD-quality audio: Deezer is one of the few music streaming apps that offer CD-quality audio, or lossless audio, which means that the sound is not compressed or degraded. This results in a clearer, richer, and more detailed sound that audiophiles will appreciate. You can enjoy CD-quality audio with the HiFi plan, which streams music at 1411 kbps, or 16-bit/44.1 kHz2. However, you will need a compatible device and a stable internet connection to enjoy this feature.
- Sony 360 Reality Audio: Deezer also supports Sony 360 Reality Audio, a spatial audio format that creates a more immersive and realistic listening experience. This technology uses object-based audio to place different sounds in a 3D space around you, making you feel like you are in a live concert or a studio. You can access Sony 360 Reality Audio with the HiFi plan, but you will need a separate app called 360 by Deezer, as well as compatible headphones and devices3.
- Offline listening: Deezer allows you to download songs, albums, playlists, and podcasts for offline listening, which means that you can enjoy your favorite music without an internet connection. This is especially useful when you are traveling, commuting, or in areas with poor network coverage. You can download up to 1000 tracks per device, and up to five devices per account, with any paid plan4.
- MP3 uploads: Deezer also allows you to upload your own MP3 files from your computer to your Deezer account, which means that you can listen to your personal music collection alongside the Deezer catalog. You can upload up to 2000 tracks per account, and they will be synced across your devices. You can also add them to your playlists and share them with other users5.
- Clean, easy-to-use layout and design: Deezer has a simple and intuitive interface that makes it easy to navigate and use. The app has a dark theme that is pleasing to the eye, and a minimalistic design that focuses on the music. You can easily access your favorite songs, albums, playlists, and podcasts from the home screen, or browse by genre, mood, or activity. You can also search for any track, artist, album, or podcast using the search bar, or use the voice assistant to control the app with your voice.
- Decent discovery features: Deezer has some decent features that help you discover new music and podcasts that match your taste. You can explore Deezer’s curated and editorial playlists, which are organized by genre, mood, activity, or theme. You can also check out the charts, which show the most popular tracks, albums, and artists in your country or globally. Additionally, you can use the Flow feature, which creates an endless mix of songs based on your listening history and preferences. You can also find personalized playlists, such as Daily Mix, Discover Mix, and Release Radar, which are updated regularly with new recommendations.
- SongCatcher feature: Deezer also has a feature called SongCatcher, which allows you to identify any song that is playing around you, similar to Shazam. You can use this feature to find out the name, artist, and album of any song, and add it to your library or playlist. You can also listen to a preview of the song, or play the full track if it is available on Deezer.
What are the cons of Deezer?
Deezer is not perfect, and it has some drawbacks that may affect your user experience. Here are some of them:
- Some songs are limited to 30-second previews on Deezer Free: One of the biggest limitations of the free version of Deezer is that some songs are only available as 30-second previews, which means that you cannot listen to the full track. This is especially frustrating when you are listening to a playlist or a Flow mix, and you encounter a song that you like but cannot play. This limitation does not apply to the paid plans, which give you unlimited access to all the songs on Deezer.
- Limited availability for podcasts, audiobooks, and radio: Another drawback of Deezer is that its non-music content, such as podcasts, audiobooks, and radio stations, is not available in all countries. For example, podcasts and audiobooks are only available in 15 countries, while radio stations are only available in 8 countries. This means that you may not be able to access some of the content that you are interested in, depending on your location. Moreover, Deezer’s selection of podcasts and audiobooks is not as extensive as some of its competitors, such as Spotify and Apple Music, which offer more variety and exclusivity.
- Highest “HiFi” audio quality is lower than other platforms: While Deezer offers CD-quality audio with its HiFi plan, it does not offer hi-res audio, which is a higher quality of sound that exceeds the standard CD format. Hi-res audio has a higher bit rate, sample rate, and bit depth, which means that it captures more details and nuances of the original recording. Some of Deezer’s competitors, such as Tidal, Amazon Music HD, and Qobuz, offer hi-res audio, which can stream music at up to 9216 kbps, or 24-bit/192 kHz. However, you will need a more expensive subscription, a more powerful device, and a faster internet connection to enjoy this feature.
- Separate 360 Reality Audio app required: Another downside of Deezer is that it requires a separate app, called 360 by Deezer, to access the Sony 360 Reality Audio feature. This means that you have to download and install another app, and switch between the two apps, to enjoy the spatial audio format. This can be inconvenient and confusing, especially if you want to listen to both regular and 360 Reality Audio tracks. It would be better if Deezer integrated this feature into its main app, as some of its competitors, such as Tidal and Amazon Music, have done.
- Limited in-app social features: Deezer also has limited social features within its app, which means that you cannot interact with other users or artists as much as you can on other platforms. For example, you cannot follow other users or artists, see what they are listening to, or send them messages. You also cannot create collaborative playlists, join listening parties, or comment on tracks or podcasts. You can only share your music and podcasts with other users via external apps, such as Facebook, Twitter, or WhatsApp. Deezer could improve its social aspects by adding more ways to connect and communicate with other music and podcast lovers.